Ireland is known for most people as the beautiful island with the fascinating nature, magnificent legends and customs, though today this country provides challenges to get introduced to it better through international study. Currently the country offers warmest welcomes to the growing number of international students who choose this country as a country of study destination.
Higher education in Ireland
Information is exploratory. For accurate information, refer to the official website of the school.
Worldwide reputation of Irish high quality education is based on the foundation of commitment to brilliance and supreme quality. Dated far back, the education system in the country has always had the name to be called the island of saints and scholars during the Middle Ages. Several years ago the Irish universities gained noteworthy investments that were supposed to increase the quality of leisure activity and comfortable accommodation for students to the highest extent. At this point, the requirements were unique against those adopted by leading and well-known global universities. The Department of Education and Skills falls responsible for education and it manages all aspects of education policy.
In general, Irish university graduates do not only earn the best world education but their life in the country is varied: they enjoy flexible leisure time, which at their sole discretion they might spend to seek job. This is one of the options offered to international students on a legal basis pursuing known goals: students may considerably reduce accommodation and tuition fees and the country may gain in having highly-qualified specialists with work experience.
Applicant who seek to become university students but challenge in the English language proficiency, are offered the option to learn it through a number of special-purpose courses. Being integrated, such courses might be classified for groups as follow:
1. Basic (introductory) course. The curriculum offers the initial elements of the language with applicants who gain excellent skills in hearing, reading, grammar and colloquial speech. The pattern of courses may be standard or as intensive language studies which come especially valuable for students who wish to save time.
2. Examination course. The curriculum of the course is beneficial not only for university enrollment but also for job seeking and applicants who aspire for best combination of learning and working may acquire a good comprehension skills.
3. Academic year. This is the most beneficial course in term of fees as well as the most effective one. Some applicants may find it a bit inconvenient with the duration of study that can last for a year and the clear starting date of studies.
Intelligibility and well-organization of the Irish education system is traced in the study pattern: apart from courses for international students, the education system in place accepts mature students, that is providing programs for key employees offering material that allows quick introduction to business matters. Courses for those who plan to combine language learning with job are also available.
Entry requirements in universities of Ireland
A good grasp of English language comes as the essential requirement for non-English speaking applicants. In addition, the applicant might be required to pass complementary exams to prove his/her qualification irrespective of the institution. Also worth noting is that some universities comply with requirements set by National Framework of Qualification (NFQ) to compare qualifications earned to ensure that they are recognized at home and abroad.
Most higher education institutions in Ireland set minimum entry requirements to submission papers as follows:
leaving certificate when enrollment is eligible just after graduation from elementary school without any area of expertise;
English language proficiency certificate;
bank statement or any other paper to prove applicant’s creditworthiness.
In fact, all these papers should be submitted to the Central Application Office up to February 1, which explains why some guidelines advice on the year period for submission procedure prior the scheduled date of study.
University enrollment options in Ireland
There are two major ways to attain university admission in Ireland as follow:
1. An applicant who graduated from higher education institution in his/her motherland applies to entry to language proficiency courses described above. Upon completion or during study an applicant may commit to collect documents required by particular higher education institution.
2. Immediately upon graduation from secondary school. This is rather complicated since not everyone can boast with the perfect knowledge of English language. But if the applicant owns strong skills the only thing is to pass the appropriate tests required as per the NFQ and submit the list of documents mentioned above.
In addition, national universities can send letters of invitation for the applicant, or as an alternative, the agreement concluded between the higher education institution of the applicant home and one of the Irish universities can open doors to attainment of Irish education.
Academic awards at institutions in Ireland
Today an international student upon graduation from Irish university can get the following degrees:
Bachelor’s degree. Bachelor’s diploma stands for higher education of the specialist as well as it confirms basic skills available due to qualification. This is the best option in view of the rapidly growing world orientation. The 4-year study provides advanced and all necessary knowledge that are in high demand in job marketplace;
Master’s degree. Achievement of this award is only possible with the particular qualification gained at the time of admission. Master’s degree curriculum provides more sophisticated and profound knowledge to make it possible for the graduate to hold key positions in the profile chosen.
Scholarships and grants in Ireland
The Ministry of Science and Education of Ireland have concluded a deal of treaties with lots of countries to ease attainment of scholarship and grants for international students during study.
Grants may be classified into two groups:
1. Full cover of all financial expenses for tuition fee and accommodation in the country. This requires submission of a good number of documents, evidence on strong English language proficiency, and support from the Ministry of Education and Science of the home country. The latter is feasible only in case of treaty concluded between these two countries.
2. Partial cover of expenses is practical through scholarship rated to cover minimum financial needs of the student per month.
How to get a student visa in Ireland
Ireland requires Student Visa for international students to study in the country. They can be issued for short-term period if the study lasts for up to 3 months, and long-term period – when the applicant plans to study at the university. Irrespective of the type, visa is issued within six weeks. Therefore, all the documents should be executed three months before the scheduled date of trip.
Student Visa is issued if all the documents below are available:
applicant’s form completed;
letter of invitation from higher education institution as well as the receipt on payment from the receiving institution;
two matte photos 3.5x4.5 cm;
for officially employed applicants: proof of employment to show the wage volume for the last 3 months as well as the acknowledgment to accept the applicant for the position held before upon completion of studies providing that the applicant is back.
for applicant who still study: a certificate from higher education institution to prove on the current study leave.
certificates on English language proficiency, if any;
copies of air tickets and medical insurance.
All the documents listed above should be made in English language with the translation certified by the Notary.
This is to note that Ireland credentials are highly valued in the world to give the graduate the challenge to stay and seek job in Ireland.