Japan - General information
Statistics - Rankings
|Arts and Humanities||8|
|Engineering and Technology||8|
|Life Sciences and Medicine||6|
|Social Sciences and Management||7|
|Economics & Business||22|
Statistics - Education
|Popularity rating in the world||7|
|Ranking of universities in the world||4|
|Quality of teaching||3|
|Citations per Faculty||11|
Statistics - Universities
|Universities in top 100||5|
|Universities in top 200||8|
|Universities in top 500||15|
|Universities in top 1000||41|
|Universities in top 5000||278|
Cost of living in Japan, USD/month
|Communications and utilities||97||126|
|Sports and leisure||47||147|
Accommodation in Japan, USD/month
|Shared room outside of centre||294|
|Shared room in city centre||498|
|1 bedroom apartment outside of centre||429|
|1 bedroom apartment in city centre||694|
Japan is recognized as one of the most developed countries in the world and it opens doors to international students offering new challenges and extremely interesting admission condition for international students who wish to study for higher education.The information contained in this site is provided for informational purposes only, in order to obtain accurate information on the tuition fees, please refer to the official website of the educational institution.
Applicants should submit documents to prove on completion of secondary school and pass entry exams. The elementary school education in Japan lasts for 12 years so if the international students has a Certificate of 10-year study at school at home (as per the national requirements), the latter is obliged: Japanese language proficiency three-stage exam should be passed (familiarity in hieroglyphs and vocabulary, comprehension in hearing, reading and grammar).
That’s good that at private university places the applicants might attend two-year pre-university courses which make it easier to enroll at universities without compulsory exams.
About 80% of all students in the country study for their own resources and only 20% are eligible to scholarships allotted by the government (Japanese Government Scholarship). There are any other options to get grants though they are based on the programme of International Understanding or Private Funds. To the point, private funds make allowances for international students in the amount of up to 40 000 Yen per month (and up to 100 000 Yens for post-graduates). If the applicant fails to get the grant the permit for work might be received at the Immigration Service that often required by employers. In virtue of the legislation, a student should devote full time to study which means only 4-hour employment a day.
Bachelor’s Degree (Gakushi). Applicants who are not defined with the qualifications should seriously consider the study in Japan since the first year of bachelor degree programme will be the most appealing. Students learn Literature, Philosophy, Social Science and foreign languages in the first two years. At the end of the 2nd course they are eligible to transfer to other disciplines, if necessary, to study their major in the following two years. Such sciences as Medicine and Veterinary are studied for six years, on the whole.
Master’s Degree (Shushi). Upon completion of Bachelor-level programme, it takes two more years of study to get Master’s credentials. This degree is the key and warranty of further career promotion.
Doctoral (Hakushi). This programme takes three more years upon acquiring Bachelor’s Degree though this qualification is found challenging for people highly interested in researches.
Academic curriculum in Japan, as in most countries, is per semesters though successful exams and requisite scores of total advancement are also important: at least Scores 124 of progress for Bachelor’s degree, Score 30 – for Master’s degree and Score 50 – for Doctoral degree and thesis defense based on student research work results.
A Student visa can be classified by categories as follow:
Tourist visa. This is a short-term permit to stay in the country and learn Japanese language and culture. It is not feasible to apply for the college or university study with such visa.
Shugaku – visa for college study applicants. This visa is valid to stay in the country for up to 4 years and request for work permit, if necessary.
Ryugaku – visa for university study applicants. It gives the opportunity to stay in Japan for longer period.
At the same time, visas for students are arranged by the guarantor; that is, the education institution to which the applicant is enrolled to. Visa is issued within three to four months providing that the guarantor is able to submit the documents as follow:
If an international student searches for study abroad, Japan is the right country to suggest one of the best education programmes globally. And this is well-argued for the reasons as follow:
|24||1||University of Tokyo||University of Tokyo||Tokyo||4,822 USD||4,822 USD|
|25||2||Kyoto University||Kyoto University||Kyoto||4,715 USD||4,715 USD|
|58||3||Osaka University||Osaka University||Suita||4,822 USD||4,822 USD|
|82||4||Tohoku University||Tohoku University||Sendai||4,822 USD||4,822 USD|
|98||5||Nagoya University||Nagoya University||Nagoya||4,822 USD||4,822 USD|
|102||6||Tokyo Institute of Technology||Tokyo Institute of Technology||Tokyo||4,822 USD||4,822 USD|
|141||7||Hokkaido University||Hokkaido University||Sapporo||4,822 USD||4,822 USD|
|166||8||Kyushu University||Kyushu University||Fukuoka||5,076 USD||5,076 USD|
|207||9||University of Tsukuba||University of Tsukuba||Tsukuba||4,822 USD||4,822 USD|
|256||10||Keio University||Keio University||Tokyo||7,559 USD||8,280 USD|
- Development of science in Japan is ranked top in the world and annually 130 USD billion is invested from governmental budget to science researches with Japan ranking 3rd in the world when it comes to investments to research activities, especially in the sphere of Electronics, Medicine and High Technology. This makes easier for the applicant to find well-paid employment upon completion of study in here.
- Such fundamental sciences as Physics, Chemistry and Math are arranged in Japan on such high level that most Nobel laureates are known to have Japanese credentials in disciplines they are awarded the Prize.
- Opportunity to learn Japanese culture and way of thinking is also appealing for most international students.
- short-term language proficiency courses. As a rule, such courses are appropriate for applicants who are rather interested in specialized education but not tertiary. The course facilitators assure that a person with tourist visa will manage to properly master the language to adapt to the country.
- long-term prep courses. These are ideal for those who aspire to get complete tertiary education and may plan to stay in the Land of the Rising Sun in the perspective.
- Either to attent additional specialized courses in Japan to qualify the knowledge, or
- Submit a document on completion of 2-year study of qualification at higher education level institution in the applicant’s home country to assess it as part of qualification.
- Valid foreign passport of the applicant
- A copy of the first page of valid foreign passport
- Photographs 3х4 – at least 8 copies
- A notarized copy of Diploma and transcript of progress from the latest place of study
- Proof of Japanese language proficiency
- Birth certificate (original and a notarized copy)
- Proof of employment by one of parent (in case the applicant is under age by the home country law)
- Given that the applicant pays for the study, a bank statement to prove at least 15,000 USD on the account