Higher education in Malaysia
|218||1||University of Malaya||University of Malaya||Kuala Lumpur||1,000 $||1,000 $|
|330||2||University of Science, Malaysia||University of Science, Malaysia||Tasek Glugor||1,000 $||3,000 $|
|403||3||Universiti Teknologi Malaysia||Universiti Teknologi Malaysia||Johor Bahru||1,000 $||3,000 $|
|409||4||Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia||Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia||Kuala Lumpur||1,000 $||1,000 $|
|419||5||Universiti Putra Malaysia||Universiti Putra Malaysia||Kuala Lumpur||1,000 $||3,000 $|
|607||6||International Islamic University of Malaysia||International Islamic University of Malaysia||Kuala Lumpur||1,000 $||1,000 $|
|910||7||MARA University of Technology||MARA University of Technology||Klang||1,000 $||1,000 $|
|911||8||Universiti Utara Malaysia||Universiti Utara Malaysia||Kuala Kedah||1,000 $||1,000 $|
|1418||9||Universiti Tenaga Nasional||Universiti Tenaga Nasional||Kuala Selangor||7,500 $||7,500 $|
|1561||10||Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia||Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia||Johor Bahru||1,000 $||1,000 $|
Advantages of study in Malaysia
- A variety of specialties that enable applicants refer to the area of specialization they are concerned;
- Low tuition as compared with that in other countries;
- Convenient geographic location and favorable climate; good resources to get solid qualification, get introduced to national culture and traditions, and a good chance to rest well;
- Degree course schemes are supported by the European Union and US government;
- Malaysian credentials meet the world standards and comply with the education quality at the best world’s universities;
- Low living costs;
- Quick and easy way to get a student visa. Resources for visa-free entry and stay in Malaysia applicable for a number of countries;
- English language learning at different levels based on lots of comprehensive programmes at universities and private facilities;
Study in Malaysia is a good life experience to be of significant value for future.
English language courses in Malaysia
Back in the old times, Malaysia was one of British colonies. This accounts most curriculums taught in English language at most universities apart from a wide range of international student programmes.
Language courses taken on the national level are as follow:
- intensive courses
- exam courses with TOEFL or IELTS certificates upon completion
- general English language courses for any proficiency level students
- Business English language.
Courses targeted in French, German, Italian and Chinese languages are also available in Malaysia.
Admission procedure in malaysian universities
The applicants should submit the education credentials (Leaving Certificate) as well as IELTS or TOEFL English language proficiency certificates to study at Malaysian universities. The applicants can also join pre-university courses with the certificate upon completion that guarantees enrollment to the university of choice. Pre-university courses are mainly arranged for applicants who are not good at English.
Tertiary education in Malaysia
Malaysian universities offer Bachelor, Master and Doctor-level programmes for all applicants. Associate and bachelor degree programmes fall into the lowest programmes. The junior specialist (Associate) is entitled to get employment in the area of specialization or apply for higher Bachelor degree. Students with associate diplomas may apply for Bachelor programme as the second year students. The associate programme takes mainly 2.4 years of study.
Bachelor programme lasts 4 years with the pre-university course attended by the applicant for a year or a year and a half (Foundation, A-Level or AUSMAT). Upon completion of the course the applicant continues the study for a Bachelor.
Master-level programmes take a year or two years providing Associate or Bachelor degree is available. Those who apply for the Doctorate should have a Master’s degree.
Malaysian universities offer twinning programmes with the credentials of the western universities while studying in Malaysia. Such diplomas are awarded at headquarters of western universities.
Transfer Programmes afford study in Malaysia and in the country of choice.
Scholarships in Malaysia
Malaysian universities might offer scholarships and grants to international students who show good academic achievements. Specific Malaysian universities consider full and interest-free tuition for Master level programme though such aids are given to students who perform higher than expected. Such approach highly motivates applicants who can get the qualification for free only.
The Ministry of Education of Malaysia considers scholarship programmes as follow:
- MIS (Malaysian International Scholarship) which appears the basic one. Students who pursue advance academic records are eligible to apply for this type of financial aid.
- MTCP (Malaysian technical cooperation programme) Scholarship is given to promising students who wish to contribute to scientific work and get postgraduate education in the country. The students eligible for this kind of financial aid might get the Master or Doctor’s degrees, if applied.
The scholarship allotted covers the flight fee, tuition, information material costs and expenses of general purpose.
The following documents are required to apply for scholarships:
- A passport copy (notarized)
- Diploma Supplement
- Two photographs
- Medical examination record
- English language proficiency certificate
- Reference letters from academic staff and scientific supervisors
How to get a Student Visa to Malaysia
Below find the list of documents to submit for a Student Visa:
- Original and a copy of the passport
- Application form completed in English language
- Letter of invitation from the Malaysian university
- Letter of accept from the Malaysian university
- Leaving Certificate (Secondary School Certificate)
- Diploma (if any)
- International Certificate of TOEFL – 550 or IELTS – 6.0
- Air ticket
The applicant should submit all these papers to the Embassy of Malaysia 2 months before the expected date of departure. A Student Visa is issued for a period of 1 year. This is prolonged by the student in the country of residence or immediately in Malaysia providing the students intends to continue with the study there.
Work and study options in Malaysia
International students might combine associate employment with the study for up to 20 hours per week. Still further, one of challenging points of study is that most Malaysian universities provide paid internships for their students to match with the study and have their own money. This is really appreciated since students gain experience through practice matching it with the routine study and honing qualification skills.
The diploma of the tertiary education institution in Malaysia is the warranty of perspective and highly paid job offers.
Most Malaysian universities back up international students in their employment in the country on a legal basis.
Today the Malaysian diploma is highly esteemed in the world and thus the student with the Malaysian credentials can easily get employed in other countries apart from Malaysia. On the top of it, Transfer Programmes allow students stay in the country where the study programme is continued.
Submit a Request
Education in Malaysia - See also...