"Taisen" is an open operating system based on the LINUX kernel. It can be installed on a wide range of devices — from mobile gadgets to smart home devices. The developers of this OS are Samsung and Intel. The name "Tizen" consists of three English words — tie, rise and zen (the system of philosophical views of Zen).
- Samsung Gear — connection to the phone and setting, applications downloading;
- S Health — a set of fitness tracker functions:
- S Voice — voice reminders and messages;
- Uber — call a taxi, looking through the transport schedule;
- Spotify — listening to music from the Internet;
- Find My Car — recording of a car position so that it can be found easier.
- Ability to conduct telephone conversations, to have access to applications from the Internet, as well as social networks and e-mail directly from the watch (requires a connection to the smartphone via bluetooth).
- Automatic backup of all messages and notifications sent to the phone.
- Ability to listen to music from the built-in music player with 4 GB of memory capacity via a bluetooth headset.
- Alarm clock (adjustable to normal and vibro mode).
- Searching for a phone (if you cannot find the smartphone paired with the watch by visual observation and by putting things from place to place, the Samsung Gear S3 can call it. However, if the phone is discharged, it is unlikely to help).
- Contactless payments (NFS-technology).
- SOS-function (in case of emergency the owner can send SMS-messages about the need for emergency aid and transmit his / her current position).
- The ability to talk on the phone while driving and to give commands by voice — you do not have to hold the device with your hands.
- The owner can customize the appearance of the face.
- View photos, watch videos, play games.
- You can set the time display as one in a mechanical watch ("Always On Display" function).
- GPS tracker allows you to plan your routes and calculate the distance from an initial to a final point.
- Pleasant simple design and appearance.
- Easy functions control.
- A large display, where you can see everything without any problems even in bright light and in the dark.
- Stainless steel case protects the device from hits, vibration, high and low temperatures, tempered glass is protected from scratches.
- The watch is resistant to corrosion, water and dust.
- With an average working time and active usage, the battery life is up to four days being only once charged.
- Battery charging is contactless, in the charging process the charger holds the watch firmly with a magnet.
A convenient innovation of Samsung used in the previous model is bezel (rotating rim around the face), which makes the device usage extremely simple and easy. The touch screen reacts even to the touch of wet hands and when you wear gloves. The speaker and microphone transmit sound well when talking in a room or in a car. The ability to be connectted to the Internet directly through Wi-Fi or through a Bluetooth connection to the phone. The heart rate monitor gives accurate results if it fits your arm tightly. Due to the manufacturer's decision to use standard arm straps (22 mm), you can choose the watch straps to your taste.
- Sensors for sports exercises and monitoring your state of well-being.
- GPS-tracker that works autonomously from the phone (you can take the watch for running, leaving smartphone at home).
- Barometer shows the level of atmospheric pressure.
- Altimeter shows altitude above sea level.
- The watch is heavy and massive, and you can feel it on your arm during trainings, which causes discomfort.
- Rubber "native" watch strap Frontier prevents the skin from breathing, which makes your wrist sweat.
- The pulse measurement sensor can make mistakes if the watch does not fit your arm tightly.
- Due to the fact that the watch has its own operating system, the choice of applications is very limited.
- Applications designed by other developers do not work well.
- According to the manufacturer, the watch is compatible with some devices of other companies. In practice, its set of functions is somewhat narrower when it is used together with smartphones designed by other manufacturers (for example, you can not transfer the results of training to services designed by other developers like Strava, Runkeeper or Apple Health. All statistics are available only in the Samsung application).
- Voice alert outside is quiet, so you have to bring the watch close to your ear to hear the message.
- It is inconvenient to carry a stand for charging in a bag because of its shape.
- There are no slots for memory cards.
- The display should automatically light up with an arm movement. Sometimes it does not do this, or does it very slowly.
- Inaccurate floor count.
- After updating the Tizen 3.0 OS, the battery starts to discharge quickly.
- The watch can withstand a 1.5 meter immersion in fresh water up to 30 minutes, However, it does not mean that it is designed for diving and swimming. Before dipping into water, you will need to take it off.
- The device is not designed for seawater, so contact with it should be avoided.
- Samsung Gear S3 can be washed with soap.
- Charge the watch only from the original charger supplied with it in the kit.
- To make the battery last longer, it is better to use faces of darker shades.
- The app Samsung Pay does not work if the battery charge is less than 15%. This feature must be taken into account when you pay with the help of your watch.
- A convenient application S Health — it not only gives the full information about the results during training, but also offers some competent advice (to increase or decrease the pace, take some more steps to achieve the burning of a certain number of calories, etc.).
- It is inconvenient to write messages, especially for people with large fingers.
- When there are several messages, you can read only the last one. The rest messages are available only on the phone.
- It is stated that the memory is 4 GB, but usually a lot of space is occupied by the system and applications. There is very little space for music left.
- You have to take it off at night because it is uncomfortable to sleep wearing this watch.
|Model||Gear S3||Watch 3||Watch 2||Ionic|
|Bluetooth||4.2, A2DP, LE||4.2, A2DP, LE||4.1, A2DP, LE, EDR||4.0 LE|
|2G Bands||GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900||GSM 900 / 1800|
|3G Networks||HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100 / 800 - Europe, Australia (A1891)||HSDPA 2100|
|4G Networks||LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 26(850) - Europe, Australia (A1891)||LTE|
|Wi-Fi version||802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz||802.11 b/g/n||802.11 b/g/n||802.11 b/g/n|
|Material sensor||Stainless Steel 316L||Stainless Steel/Ceramic back||Stainless Steel 316L||Aluminum|
|Item width||46 mm.|
|Item height||49 mm.|
|Item depth||12.9 mm.|
|Item weight||59 gram||52.8 gram||64 gram|
|Display type||Super AMOLED||AMOLED||AMOLED|
|Display size||1.3 Inches||1.65 Inches||1.2 Inches||1.42 Inches|
|Screen-to-body ratio||48.1 %||55.4 %||42.6 %|
|Constantly working screen|
|Display width||360 px||390 px||348 px|
|Display height||360 px||390 px||250 px|
|Pixel density||278 ppi||303 ppi||326 ppi||302 ppi|
|Protection||Corning Gorilla Glass SR+||Sapphire crystal glass||Corning Gorilla Glass|
|Temperature minimum||-4 °C|
|Temperature max||113 °C|
|Battery capacity||380 mAh|
|Battery life - Waiting||96 hours||96 hours|
|Battery life - Tested||1.5 hours||2 hours||10 hours|
|Charging time||2 hours|
|iOS version||iOS 9|
|Incoming call||Ringtones||MP3, WAV ringtones|
|CPU||Exynos 7270, 1000 MHz||Apple W2||Quad-core 1.1 GHz Cortex-A7|
|Chipset||Apple S3||Qualcomm MSM8909W Snapdragon Wear 2100|
|Operating System||Tizen||watchOS 4||Android Wear OS 2.0|
|Play audio||MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB|
|Dynamic heart rate|
|Guided breathing sessions|