MEPhI has educational, service, scientific and military facilities on its territory. The main building, located at 31 Kashirskoye Shosse, holds offices of the university’s leadership, a library and classrooms, where most classes take place. The buildings are interconnected by a system of corridors and underground communications, allowing you to move around the university without going outside. The territory of MEPhI also includes physical, computer and electrical laboratories, a canteen for students and teachers, a sports complex, and an industrial park. In addition, there is a nuclear reactor, a neutron generator, radiation accelerator, laser and nanocenters. In the basement of the main building of the university, an Orthodox house church was created.
Dormitories. MEPhI has 26 dormitories with a capacity of more than 10,000 beds. The campus includes 5 buildings, 2 of which are a 15-minute walk from the main building (Moskvorechye St., 2, buildings 1 and 2). The cost of living in an apartment-type dormitory for state-funded students is 13 USD/month, including utility bills, and a hostel one is 9 USD/month. For students that pay tuition, the price for accommodation varies from 26 USD to 47 USD per month.
The library. The collection contains about 1 million copies of publications in various fields of science. The library offers the following services to students and professors of MEPhI:
- A unique printed collection of materials on natural sciences;
- Electronic catalogs, ordering literature online;
- Reading rooms equipped with computers with Internet access.
Sports. MEPhI has several sports halls, gyms and games rooms, a swimming pool, tennis courts and outdoor fields and tracks. Students can join one of the 30 clubs, among which are both traditional (athletics, swimming, skiing) and quite rare, for example, historical fencing or the Russian military art "Sobor".
Interesting facts about MEPhI
- A complex of 57 buildings and structures of the university covers an area of 19 hectares. The total area of educational and research buildings is more than 96000 m2.
- MEPhI is a participant in international collaborations at construction of Megasience facilities – high-tech international physical scientific and research complexes.
- Since 1994, a group of scientists at NRNU MEPhI has been participating in an international project to study the first moments after the Big Bang and the formation of the Universe.
- MEPhI Academic Men's Choir, which is attended exclusively by students and graduates of the university, is one of the most famous amateur choirs in Russia. The team has repeatedly become the laureate of international and Russian competitions.
- Scientists at the MEPhI Engineering Center have developed a device for painless endoscopy using the special “Landysh” capsule.
- Sergei Vasilievich Avdeev (1956) – astronaut, Hero of Russia, who made 3 space flights. For a long time he remained the world record holder for his stay in space, repeatedly went into outer space.
- Nikolai Nikolaevich Ponomarev-Stepnoy (1928) – Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, leading specialist in the field of nuclear energy. Since 2010 – scientific consultant to the General Director of Rosenergoatom.
- Kirill Gennadievich Korniliev (1961) – Vice President of Industrial Solutions Business Development in Central and Eastern Europe at IBM. Graduate of the Faculty of Cybernetics.
- Mikhail Valerievich Parakhin (1977) – director of technology at Yandex (2014 – present). Under his leadership, the company launched Alice’s voice assistant and created Tolok’s crowdsourcing platform.
- Ivan Vasilievich Zorin (1959-2020) – Russian writer, publicist and video blogger. Member of the Union of Writers of Russia, laureate of the Russian Gulliver Prize.
Studying abroad with UniPage
Want to study at a foreign university but don't know where to start? We can help!
Our specialists will find a university, arrange your documents, fill out the applications, and stay in touch until you receive an offer.