Student insurance is one of the most important stages of applying for a student visa and successfully enrolling in a foreign university.
An applicant may be surprised that in many universities insurance is a mandatory admission document. It might seem like a pure formality that only serves as an additional money drain. However, there are several reasons why you should purchase health insurance even if the university does not require it:
- In case of an emergency, a student without insurance will not receive the necessary treatment in another country;
- If you have insurance, medical treatment will be several times cheaper or completely free. For example, in Australia, a doctor’s appointment will cost at least 40 USD for a foreigner, but for a person with insurance, this service will be absolutely free;
- The presence of health insurance increases the chances of obtaining a visa significantly, and in some countries, it is a mandatory requirement for entry.
The cost of medical insurance for foreign students in popular countries
|Country||Min/month||Max/month||Min coverage||Recommended coverage|
|US||30 USD||700 USD||50,000 USD||100,000 USD|
|Canada||66 USD||165 USD||20,569 USD||82,274 USD|
|UK||28 USD||139 USD||55,611 USD||139,027 USD|
|Australia||34 USD||934 USD||38,916 USD||77,832 USD|
|Germany||60 USD||133 USD||36,197 USD||60,328-120,657 USD|
|France||Free||121 USD||36,197 USD||60,328-120,657 USD|
|Italy||10 USD||16 USD||36,197 USD||60,328-120,657 USD|
|Czech Republic||25 USD||60 USD||68,000 USD||100,000 USD|
|Austria||62 USD||579 USD||34,000 USD||60,328-120,657 USD|
Student health insuranceHealth insurance provides the student with the necessary medical care in another country. The list of medical services covered by insurance usually includes:
- Medical examination by a doctor;
- Necessary diagnostics;
- Drugs prescribed by a doctor;
- Hospitalization and treatment in a hospital.
Many standard insurance policies do not cover dentists, optometrists and physiotherapists.
Where is student insurance required?Student insurance may be required or recommended depending on the country. Insurance is required in all countries of the Schengen area, Australia, Iceland, Canada, Turkey and South Korea. Many universities in the USA also require health insurance, although about 20% of American students study without health insurance.
Student insurance optionsThere are a number of large companies that insure tourists and students — they provide services for representatives of the majority of world countries:
Can I cancel student insurance?Most of the insurances can be canceled if you:
- Left the country of study earlier than expected,
- Switched insurance provider,
- Did not arrive in the country of destination,
- Completed studies prematurely.
Are deductibles included in student health plans?Deductibles are very common in many insurance plans in the United States, where there is no compulsory health insurance — it can range from 250 USD to 5,000 USD. In European countries, deductibles in student policies are less common.
In principle deductibles are in place in order to make a person somewhat financially liable. For example, if you insure a car, damage it, and the cost of repairs is 7,000 USD, you will have to cover a set amount, say, 2,000 USD yourself and the rest will be covered by the insurance company. This system is in place to prevent abuse of the insurance policy. You are less likely to purposely damage your property if you have to pay for repairs alongside with the insurance company.