Bauman Moscow State Technical University – national research university, a major scientific center of the country, an innovator in the development of aerospace systems. Research is underway here on information and telecommunication systems, the nanosystem industry, security and counter-terrorism.
The oldest technical university in Russia was founded in July 1830 as the Moscow Vocational School. Engineering training was conducted in two areas: practical craft and theoretical foundations. Russian industrialists highly appreciated the graduates of the institution, many of whom, shortly after training, occupied key positions in factories.
In 1868, the educational institution acquired the status of the Imperial Moscow Technical School. Here fundamental scientific schools were emerging, new buildings and dormitories were being built. The system of training engineering specialists, the so-called "Russian method of training", was gaining popularity around the world. In 1876, after the victory of IMTS at the World Exhibition in America, the method was adopted not only by Russian, but also European and American universities.
The secret of training was a unique combination of serious theoretical training, the development of practical skills in conditions close to real and the relationship of the school with industrial enterprises. At the beginning of the 20th century, the school was first recognized as the best technical educational institution in Russia.
After the revolution of 1917, the university experienced a series of transformations, as a result of which several separate technical institutes stood out. During World War II, defense departments were opened at the university, which carried out orders for the front.
The modern name is Bauman Moscow State Technical University – assigned to the institution in 1989.
At all stages of development, MSTU closely collaborated with industry, maintained contacts with other scientific and educational institutions.
The structure of the university
The educational center includes 19 faculties (including 5 industry faculties, accepting applicants the targeted recruitment basis), 3 branches, research centers and laboratories. Moscow College of Space Instrument Engineering (MTKP) operates on the basis of MSTU.
|Rocket and Space Technology||Korolev, Grabina st, 1 A||+7 (495) 513-62-68||[email protected]|
|Aerospace||Moscow, 2nd Baumanskaya st, 5, b. 1||+7 (499) 263-69-64|
|Instrument-Making||Moscow, Aviamotornaya st, 55||+7 (499) 940-11-43||[email protected]|
|Radio Engineering||Moscow, Aviamotornaya st, 57||+7 (495) 673-64-21||[email protected]|
|Optoelectronic Instrument Engineering||Moscow Region, Krasnogorsk st. Rechnaya, 7A||+7 (495) 563-86-47||[email protected]|
The University provides training in higher education programs full-time only. The terms of study are: bachelor’s – 4 years, specialist program – 5 years 10 months, master’s – 2 years.
|Program||Cost per year||Seats, state-funded||Seats, paid|
|Applied Mathematics and Computer Science||3,701 USD||36||15|
|Applied Mathematics||3,701 USD||80||30|
|Mathematics and Computer Science||3,701 USD||57||25|
|Informatics and Computer Engineering||4,145 USD||209||164|
|Applied Informatics||4,145 USD||74||53|
|Information Systems and Technologies||4,145 USD||55||21|
|Software Engineering||4,145 USD||80||42|
|Computer Securityspecialist degree||4,145 USD||18||39|
|Information Security of Automated Systemsspecialist degree||4,145 USD||30||51|
|Electronics Design and Technology||4,145 USD||83||20|
|Electronics and Nanoelectronics||4,145 USD||22||12|
|Electronic Systems and Complexes||4,145 USD||140||35|
|Optical Engineering||4,145 USD||19||10|
|Biotechnical Systems and Technologies||4,145 USD||67||30|
|Laser Equipment and Technology||4,145 USD||19||10|
|Electronic and Optoelectronic Instruments and Systems of Special Purposespecialist degree||4,145 USD||91||15|
|Energy and Electrical Engineering||4,145 USD||33||20|
|Power Engineering||4,145 USD||76||20|
|Nuclear Power and Thermal Physics||4,800 USD||24||5|
|Nuclear Reactors and Materialsspecialist degree||4,800 USD||50||5|
|Mechanical Engineering||4,145 USD||64||20|
|Technological Machines and Equipment||4,145 USD||17||10|
|Applied Mechanics||4,145 USD||54||20|
|Automation of Technological Processes and Production||4,145 USD||54||40|
|Mechatronics and Robotics||4,145 USD||97||45|
|Machinery Designspecialist degree||4,145 USD||281||91|
|Technical Physics||4,800 USD||36||10|
|High-tech Plasma and Power Plants||4,800 USD||33||10|
|Refrigeration, Cryogenics and Life Support Systems||4,800 USD||34||16|
|Special Life Support Systemsspecialist degree||4,800 USD||26||16|
|Technosphere Safety||4,145 USD||44||5|
|Materials Science and Technologies||4,145 USD||60||6|
|Ground Transportation and Technological Facilitiesspecialist degree||4,145 USD||51||30|
|Transportation of Special Purposespecialist degree||4,145 USD||28||20|
|Rocket and Space Technology||4,800 USD||40||20|
|Design, Manufacture and Operation of Rockets and Rocket-Space Systemsspecialist degree||4,800 USD||230||45|
|Design of Aircraft Systemsspecialist degree||4,800 USD||128||30|
|Navigation and Ballistic Support of Space Technologyspecialist degree||4,800 USD||45||10|
|Aircraft Control Systemsspecialist degree||4,800 USD||242||50|
|Standardization and Metrology||4,145 USD||17||6|
|Control in Engineering Systems||4,145 USD||50||18|
|Business Informatics||3,701 USD||14||26|
|Legal Expertisespecialist degree||3,701 USD||17||50|
|Kaluga||Kaluga, st. Bazhenova, d. 2||+7 (4842) 74-40-32||[email protected]|
|Dmitrovsky||Moscow region, Dmitrovsky district, pos. Orevo||+7 (495) 993-95-51||[email protected]|
|Mytishchi||Moscow Region, Mytishchi, ul. 1 Institutskaya, d. 1||+7 (495) 583-64-90||[email protected]|
There are 2 faculties in the branch where future engineers, specialists in information systems and management study. MSTU students undergo internships at the partners of the branch – Samsung, Volkswagen factories located in the region.
On the territory of the branch there are scientific laboratories, test sites, demonstration halls of rocket and space technology.
The youngest branch of MSTU. Since 2016, students have been studying here at 8 faculties, the military department is also located here. The branch entered the structure of the educational institution after Moscow State Forest University merged with MSTU.
The advantages of MSTU
- Prestige of the University. The university takes 2nd place in the ranking of the Top 100 Russian universities in terms of the quality of education and 4th place in Russia among entrepreneurial universities.
- Teaching staff. More than 650 professors work at MSTU, among the heads of departments there are academicians, members of the RASRussian Academy of Science.
- Research base. MSTU is the holder of the prestigious status of the National Research University, which is awarded for the successful integration of scientific work with educational activities. The institution has over 60 research institutes, centers and laboratories.
- Assistance in career development. The university has organized a special department for employment, which regularly holds job fairs, career days, presentations of industry companies. Among the permanent partners of MSTU are such companies as Sberbank, Gazprom, Samsung Research, Rusal.
- Support for innovative student companies. There is a business incubator at MSTU, the main purpose of which is the development of entrepreneurial projects of the University. Startups receive legal, technical, organizational support at all stages of the project.
Requirements for admission
Applicants from other countries can apply for admission by quota or by paying for the tuition. For admission, you must contact the Office of International Cooperation from June 20 to July 10 and provide a set of documents:
- Application form (got from [email protected]);
- National passport (original and certified translation into Russian);
- Certificate of education with a transcript (original and copy with an equivalence certificate if necessary);
- Medical certificate confirming absence of medical contradiction for studying);
- Negative HIV and AIDS tests;
- 6 photos (coloured, matte).
Foreign citizens can simultaneously apply for no more than 3 training programs. The exact dates of entrance exams are determined individually for each program. The results of the competitive selection are announced on August 8. Applicants recommended for admission by quota must choose 1 study program by August 2. Passed the competition for paid tuition – until August 18 included.
Full list of documents is sent to the selection committee in person or through post offices. The main priority subjects at admission are physics, mathematics, Russian. For certain programs there may be exceptions.
Dates and procedure for submitting documents
|Stages of admission, state-funded||Dates|
|The start of document reception||June 20|
|Deadline for submitting documents to participate in BMSTU entranceexaminationsExams held by MSTU||July 11|
|Entrance examinations||July 12 – July 24|
|Deadline for submitting application documents||July 26|
|Final publication of orders on student enrollment||August 8|
How to prepare for admission
Doors open days. Twice a year, April 12 and October 4, BMSTU consults for applicants on admission, gives tours of the university and arranges meetings with representatives of faculties. At these events, you can learn about the rules of admission, preparatory courses and competitions. According to tradition, the rector and the heads of departments give speeches in the Palace of Culture.
Preparatory course. For international applicants with non-sufficient knowledge of the Russian language can apply for a one-year preparatory course organised by the Faculty of International Educational Programs. These are available prior to all levels of study (bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral).
Contest. Since 1991, MSTU. Bauman holds a school contest Step into the future. Tests are held from September 1 to March 31 in 2 stages: scientific and educational (project protection/creative competition) and academic (solving tasks in school subjects). Participants who won prizes are granted unconditional enrollment to the MSTU or 100 points that are counted for the subject that can then be presented to another university.
Students and graduate students can take part in the academic exchange programs of MSTU. The university collaborates with educational institutions in 50 countries, including Harbin University of Technology, British University de Montfort, and the Higher Technical Institute of Lisbon. MSTU is a member of international associations of Technical Universities (ATU, ASRTU). Collaboration is carried out in several directions:
- Double degree programs. As part of the interaction, students of MSTU undergo a two-year course at the partner universities. At the end of the program, graduates receive a diploma from MSTU and a foreign university in which they studied. Students of 3-4 courses with academic performance above 4 points are allowed to participate in the competitive selection. Up-to-date information on the programs is available at the coordinators of the directions and is available after submitting an electronic application online. Read more
- Short-term international exchange programs. These programs are designed for the duration of 1 or 2 semesters, during which students who finished their 2nd year of study can train for free in one of the partner universities in Europe and Asia. Monthly expenses for accommodation, flight and meals are about 800 USD and are paid by students. For some short-term exchange programs, there are government grants from the host country. Accurate information can be obtained from the project coordinators after filling out the application online.
- Summer and winter space schools. International student events, organized by the created on the basis of MSTU Youth Space Center. As part of the events, conferences, tours to space centers, and industry enterprises are held.
- International educational programs. Since 1952, MSTU has accepted foreign students to study according to individual curricula. Training is conducted in Russian. The university has a preparatory department, where students from other countries study Russian, physics, and mathematics.
How to take part in exchange programs and a double diploma. Stages of selection
- Application. To participate the students must apply online on the MSTU website.
- Answer from the program coordinator. After processing of the application you will receive the list of required documents via email.
- Consultation appointment. The student studies the document requirements and contacts the coordinator to determine the date and time of the consultation.
- Consultation on the choice of program and university. At the meeting with the coordinator, the program and the partner university can be determined, the requirements for the documents are specified.
- Submission of documents to the admission committee of the partner university and wait for an answer. The final decision is made by the commission of the university in which training is planned.
From the moment the application is submitted to the final decision on average the period of 2 to 3 months might pass.
At the university there are several areas of extracurricular activity. Creative endeavors are supported in the MSTU KVN Leagueis a Soviet and then Russian humour TV show and an international competition where teams (usually university students) compete by giving funny answers to questions and showing prepared sketches, Art Club BMSTU or in one of the clubs of the Palace of Culture. The Student Union Committee is engaged in public initiatives: they make suggestions on optimizing the work of the university, and participate in competitions for the best union event manager.
Infrastructure of MSTU
Main buildings of MSTU are located in the Lefortovo district of Moscow, near the metro Baumanskaya. 10 dormitories have been built for nonresident and foreign students. On the territory of the university there is a clinic and a robotics scientific and educational center.
Library. Students and teachers have more than 2.7 million books at their disposal that were accumulated since the founding of the university. The library fund is available in both traditional and digital form. Library website
Palace of Culture. The concert hall, that can hold 1200 people, is a popular venue for performances by students, teachers and guests of the university. The palace regularly hosts scientific conferences, thematic meetings, performances, the famous Gaudeamus chamber choir and other student initiatives. Read More
Sports complex. Physical education and recreational activities are held in 36 disciplines. Students are offered a 50-meter long swimming pool, gyms, a climbing wall and outdoor areas. Health centers with sports equipment are located in the 4th and 11th dormitories of MSTU.
Interesting facts about MSTU
- Moscow State Technical University is the first technical university in Russia.
- In summer, the International Youth Scientific School – Space Development: Theory and Practice takes place. The students model rockets, space objects, and organize meetings with astronauts in Star City.
- Sloboda Palace is the main building of the University and an architectural monument of the XVIII-XIX centuries. On its territory there are more than 100 unique historical exhibits.
- The Baumanets newspaper is the corporate media of the university, has been published for almost 100 yearssince 1923. Monthly issues are devoted to university news, interesting professional events and famous personalities.
- The Youth Space Center of MSTU houses the Student Mission Control Center.
- Pavel Sukhoi (1895–1975) – an outstanding aircraft designer, Doctor of Technical Sciences, under whose leadership more than 50 aircraft hulls were created. The SU aircraft series is named to honor the aircraft designer.
- Sergei Korolev (1907–1966) – an outstanding scientist and designer in the field of rocket science. He launched the first artificial satellite in near Earth orbit and sent the world's first astronaut into space.
- Anfrei Tupolev (1888–1972) – scientist, aircraft designer, Doctor of Technical Sciences, academician of the USSR Academy of Sciences. Developer of the world's first supersonic civil aircraft Tu-144.
- Yuri Koptev (1940) – Chairman of the Council of Roscosmos, Doctor of Technical Sciences, full member of the Academy of Space Sciences.
- Oleg Artemyev (1970) – Russian test cosmonaut, hero of Russia. He made 2 space flights and 3 spacewalks.
- Ilya Sachkov (1986) – co-owner, CEO of Group-IB, in 2016 entered the ranking of bright entrepreneurs under 30 according to Forbes.
- Dmitry Grishin (1978) – co-founder, head of the board of directors of Mail.Ru.Group. Since 2012, he is the founder of an investment fund in the field of consumer robotics.
Pros. Students note excellent fundamental training, a strong teaching staff, and the opportunity for self-realization during extracurricular activities. The positive aspects include the presence of a military department, convenient location and a large number of dormitories.
Cons. Critical reviews mention huge training loads, especially during the first year, lack of repair in educational buildings, outdated equipment, poorly organized practice. Many students do not like a large number of engineering subjects in all programs and areas of training.