How to apply for doctorate programs
To study at a doctorate program at a Lithuanian university, your master's degree must be recognized in the country and be in the same (or related) field that you are applying for.
Applications can only be made through the university website. You will need to provide all the required documents, recommendations, and a receipt of the registration fee payment.
Once your application is approved, you may be scheduled for an interview. Only after successfully passing the interview, the university will send an acceptance letter, which will need to be signed and returned by mail.
|Kaunas University of Technology
|Vytautas Magnus University
|European Humanities University
Documents for admission
- Master's degree and its translation into Lithuanian or English
- Qualification certificate from the SKVC
- Registration fee payment receipt (65-119 USD)
- Motivation letter
- Recommendation letters
- IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL ≥85 for English-language programs
- List of research proposals/works
Scholarships in Lithuania
Scholarships will help to save on study costs, but unfortunately there are many offered in Lithuania. You can find more information on Study LT in the scholarships section or on university websites. We discuss the most interesting ones below.
The Student Exchange Support Fund
This is a program for foreigners from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, China, Georgia, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Moldova, and Ukraine. Only 70 seats are available. Successful candidates will receive monthly payments of 433 USD.
- Bachelor's degree or at least 210 ECTS of integrated studies in a Lithuanian higher education institution
- Official letter of admission or pre-admission to a full-time master's program at a Lithuanian higher education institution
- Proficiency in Lithuanian, English, or another language in which the study program is conducted (minimum B2)
The State Research Foundation
There are two types of financial assistance: scholarships and social benefits. To receive them, you need to be a foreigner with Lithuanian roots (even a distant Lithuanian relative is enough) and be a university/college student.
As a rule, the amount of social payments is from 220 USD to 346 USD per month. Fellows also receive a one-time payment of 13,383 USD for one semester.
Kaunas University of Technology offers a wide range of scholarships:
- Full or partial coverage of tuition fees for candidates with outstanding abilities. Foreigners of any background can apply for this scholarship. Students with high academic performance and motivation are awarded.
- Tuition discount for master’s and doctorate students who have previously completed their studies at KTU.
- Scholarship for talented students. Awarded to the most active students who have achieved outstanding results in their research, scientific, or artistic projects. They also take part in extracurricular activities in the field of business, innovation, and social activities that contribute to the promotion of the university.
The EHU Scholarship
The European Humanities University (EHU) is a Belarusian university located in Vilnius. It offers a wide range of scholarships from 133 USD per month to one-time grants of 2,167 USD, awarded based on academic achievement.
EHU also has an emergency fund for students who cannot study at Belarusian universities for political reasons.
Vilnius University Scholarships
Vilnius University is ranked 400th in the list of the best universities in the world and first in Lithuania according to QS. Scholarships range from significant one-time grants and partial discounts to full tuition coverage.
Most often, these scholarships are available to the most successful students, with few exceptions. For example, the Foreign Student Scholarship is a scholarship for foreign students. The amount of payments is from 43 USD/month to 130 USD/month.
Student visa to Lithuania
After the official enrollment, the university will issue an invitation document, on the basis of which you will receive a national category D visa for one year. The term of consideration is approximately 15 days after filling out the application. You will have to pay a fee of 130 USD for the service.
List of required documents:
- Proof of financial solvency (348 USD per month/4,174 USD per year)
- Invitation letter from the university
- Passport (plus photocopy)
- One color photo
- Health insurance valid in the EU — to get it, contact one of the companies from the LDA (Lithuanian Insurers Association) list (the insurance sum must not be less than 6,277 USD)
After a year of studying, you will be issued a temporary residence permit for one year. While studying, you can renew it annually. You can apply for one at the Lithuanian Migration Department by submitting an electronic application through the MIGRIS system.
Want to study at a foreign university but don't know where to start? We can help!
Our specialists will find a university, arrange your documents, fill out the applications, and stay in touch until you receive an offer.