or 香港科技大學 (HKUST) - public higher education institution in Hong Kong. HKUST was established in 1991. The university campus is of urban type and is located in the vicinity of Hong Kong.

University ranking. is one of the best universities in Hong Kong, taking its rightful place among the top 5 educational institutions of the country. Despite being one of the youngest universities of Hong Kong, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology ranks high in international ratings. The university is in the top 5% according to international ratings. It ranks the highest in the following disciplines «Arts and Humanities», «Engineering and Technology», «Life Sciences and Medicine», «Natural Science», «Social Sciences and Management», «Chemistry», «Computer Science», «Economics & Business». HKUST is among the best in terms of education quality, proudly standing in the top 100 in the international rankings according to this criterion. The graduates of the university are viewed as valuable employees in Hong Kong thus have no issues finding jobs upon graduation.

Application process and the cost of tuition. The admission process involves prior academic performance evaluation. Academic year of the university consists of two semesters. The cost of tuition for the bachelor’s programs is around 17,868 USD per year. A master’s degree of HKUST will cost a student a significant sum of 5,373 USD per year. Despite this the students can apply for scholarships provided by the university. It is important to check for current tuition fees on (http://www.ust.hk) with the desirable faculty in mind.

The composition of the university. Being a medium scale university, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology teaches more than 11 thousand students. Foreign citizens can submit their applications along with the local students. A quarter of students are foreign citizens. The teaching staff consists of more than 1200 specialists. The amount of foreign specialists is very considerable. Student exchange programs is one of the draws of the university. If you wish to learn more about the university’s life you can follow them on social media: Facebook, Linkedin.

Infrastructure of HKUST. The library is available to all of the students. The university also provides dormitories for those who need them.
Ranking   111   3
Country Hong Kong
City Hong Kong
Bachelor (foreigners) 17,868 USD/year. Check the current price on the official website of the university
Master (foreigners) 5,373 USD/year. Check the current price on the official website of the university
Bachelor (citizens) 42,100 USD/year. Check the current price on the official website of the university
Living expenses $1,197 -2,129 USD/month
Official Website
General information
Finance type Nonprofit
Organization type Public
Established 1991
Abbreviation HKUST
Teachers 1,204
Students 11,747
Foreigners 35%
Religion None
Academic calendar Semesters
Admission Based on past academic records
Gender limitation No limits
Campus type Urban
Housing Available
Financial aid Available
Exchange programs Available
Library Available
• Education Bureau, Hong Kong SAR
• The Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU)
• The Association of Southeast Asian Institutions of Higher Learning (ASAIHL)
• The Association of East Asian Research Universities (AEARU)
• The International Association of Universities (IAU)
World ranking 111
Country ranking 3
Academic Reputation 56
Employer Reputation 67
Quality of teaching 208
International Faculty 17
International Students 51
Citations per Faculty 62
Ranking in world by sphere
Arts and Humanities 137
Engineering and Technology 14
Life Sciences and Medicine 268
Natural Science 29
Social Sciences and Management 26
Ranking in world by discipline
Chemistry 101
Computer Science 39
Economics & Business 50
International rankings
UniPage World University Ranking 111
QS World University Rankings 28
ARWU Academic Ranking 201
Cost of living in Hong Kong
Expenses - USD/Month Min. Med.
Accommodation 756 1,280
Food 246 401
Transportation 46 116
Communications and utilities 78 113
Clothing 27 101
Sports and leisure 43 117
Total 1,197 2,129
Accommodation in Hong Kong USD/Month
Shared room outside of centre 764
Shared room in city centre 1,293
1 bedroom apartment outside of centre 1,132
1 bedroom apartment in city centre 1,732
Alternative title
Russian Гонконгский научно-технологический университет
Arabic جامعة هونغ كونغ للعلوم والتكنولوجيا
German The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Spanish Universidad de Ciencia y Tecnología de Hong Kong
French Université des Sciences et Technologies de Hong Kong
Japanese 香港科技大学
Korean 홍콩과학기술대학
Portuguese Universidade de Ciência e Tecnologia de Hong Kong
Chinese 香港科技大学
old Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Location on map

The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology - Official Description

The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is a young and dynamic university devoted to education and research particularly at the postgraduate level. Founded in 1991, HKUST comprises five schools – Science, Engineering, Business and Management, Humanities and Social Science, and the Fok Ying Tung Graduate School in Guangzhou. We also have various institutes, such as the Institute for Advanced Study of HKUST, and the HKUST Shenzhen Institute based in Shenzhen. Our world-class international faculty members, coming from diverse backgrounds, are all PhD-qualified. Our undergraduate and postgraduate students represent a large number of nationalities.

Description of The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

HKUST - A dynamic, international research university, in relentless pursuit of excellence, leading the advance of science and technology, and educating the new generation of front-runners for Asia and the world. Since its official opening in October 1991, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology has established itself as an intellectual powerhouse, energizing the community's transformation into a knowledge-based society, and securing a place on the academic world map in record-breaking time. An innovator in research and teaching, HKUST is the only science and technology research university in Hong Kong, and the only one to offer an all-PhD faculty. Its groundbreaking work in science, engineering, business, humanities and social science is successfully pushing back the boundaries of the information age. Such advances are assisted by the University's top-class facilities. Locally, the University is active in society through science camps, online courses for secondary school students, and lifelong learning programs; just some of the activities that bring HKUST and the community together. Nationally, alliances with Mainland universities and collaborative work with municipal governments are setting the pace for future cooperative efforts. Globally, connections with leading institutions are actively pursued through academic partnerships with the world's top universities, and memberships in such organizations as the Association of East Asian Research Universities and Association of Pacific Rim Universities. HKUST brings forward the vision of the future. On its award-winning Clear Water Bay campus, the life to come is being shaped today

UniPage guidance in the admission process

Choosing a university is an important and responsible step. UniPage experts will:

  • advise you on education abroad,
  • select universities based on your profile and budget,
  • prepare the necessary documents,
  • send applications to educational institutions,
  • apply for a university scholarship on your behalf,
  • help you get a student visa.
Universities related to The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Universities in this city
Information is exploratory. For accurate information, refer to the official website of the school.
871The University of Hong Kong18,633 USD18,633 USD
6407Lingnan University15,458 USD15,458 USD
10708The Open University of Hong Kong11,486 USD11,486 USD
15279United International College10,210 USD10,210 USD
10The Hong Kong University of Education15,315 USD15,315 USD
Universities in this country
Information is exploratory. For accurate information, refer to the official website of the school.
871The University of Hong KongHong Kong18,633 USD18,633 USD
992The Chinese University of Hong KongShatin18,506 USD18,506 USD
1184City University of Hong KongKowloon15,315 USD15,315 USD
2045The Hong Kong Polytechnic UniversityKowloon15,315 USD15,315 USD
3856Hong Kong Baptist UniversityKowloon15,315 USD15,315 USD