Higher education in Taiwan
Information is exploratory. For accurate information, refer to the official website of the school.
|109||1||National Taiwan University||Taipei||1,892 USD||1,868 USD|
|175||2||National Tsing Hua University||1,000 USD||1,000 USD|
|240||3||National Chiao Tung University||Hsinchu||1,000 USD||1,000 USD|
|257||4||National Cheng Kung University||Tainan City||1,000 USD||1,000 USD|
|372||5||National Taiwan University of Science and Technology||1,000 USD||1,000 USD|
|384||6||National Sun Yat-Sen University||1,000 USD||1,000 USD|
|426||7||National Yang Ming University||Taipei||3,000 USD||3,000 USD|
|444||8||Chang Gung University||Taoyuan City||3,000 USD||3,000 USD|
|454||9||National Taiwan Normal University||Taipei||1,000 USD||1,000 USD|
|469||10||National Central University||Taoyuan City||1,000 USD||1,000 USD|
Advantages of study in Taiwan
When identifying the reasons why international students tend to become students of national universities in Taiwan, the following criteria prevail:
- High level of education. Taiwan adopts the American system of education. This system is known to let students choose disciplines they are willing to study. This is the key feature of the scheme. However, this approach is affected by local cultural peculiarities: all national tertiary education institutions lay an emphasis on team building as the specific feature to develop in students. They also make endeavors to hone applied skills, like making projects and preparing various presentations. Most professors of Taiwanese universities are predominantly American postgraduates. They are claimed to introduce the most effective training methods on a regular basis to prepare highly-qualified specialists.
- Fairly low tuition. When comparing, the average tuition amount at Taiwanese universities is 10 times lower than that at similar institutions in Europe or America in the same majoring specialties. One should also bear in mind that meal, accommodation and travel expenditure is somewhat cheaper. This is a substantial support for international students to get a highly demanded education.
- Options to choose the target language. Each applicant for the Taiwanese education may choose to study in Chinese or English language. In case if the student opts for the Chinese scheme but can reply only in English, the academic staff credits the student’s performance providing it is correct. This approach helps international students learn Chinese language at ease. When considering the growth rate in China it is obvious that the knowledge attained in there will be beneficial at any stage of life. As for the academic material, it is similar as in America. It is already translated to prepare in Chinese for studies.
- High living standards and good safety both for natives and foreigners. This might be odd to megalopolis residents, but the crime rate is zero in Taiwan. This explains the comfort of travel within the country at any time of the day. High standards of living can be estimated by the university pattern, too: universities offer lots of halls for students for recreational activities.
When addressing to language training courses, the government of Taiwan is extremely loyal. Courses available at some universities are not profile-specific. Such courses allow conversational practice only. Although the level of language is poor, the applicants are divided into groups of different intensity. More profound learning is further possible in groups.
Enrollment to Taiwanese university
One of key standards to enroll to the university in Taiwan is the age limit. The applicant should be in his or her 18 years to apply since this is the limit set by the Charter of all educational institutions. Apart from this age limit, the student-to-be should have a Leaving Certificate and a specific-purpose questionnaire. Two copies of higher education diploma re needed, if any, along with supplements (also in two copies) to submit to demonstrate the academic performance within the entire period of study. Most universities in Taiwan require two letters of reference with clear reasoning of why the applicant is the right person to be enrolled. Another requirement is the bank statement to show at least 9,500 USD at the applicant’s account, a copy of the valid passport and an insurance policy. Depending on the school of study, the applicant may be asked to provide with some more documents. By the way, submission is Taiwan is a fee-paying service to cost 60 USD.
The freshman year at the university is actually a training period while students get only common information without profound study. The greater emphasis is laid to the morale aspect building. This is why common subjects are combined with social events, like brooming. This might sound as a joke, though this is true, indeed. Each student sweeps the university halls for an hour at any convenient time within a year. The sophomore exams include the credit on sweeping performance, how astonishing it would not seem. In case of failure, the student is appreciated as irresponsible person and dismissed. Each student is controlled by a particular supervisor from among the military officers.
Which degrees can a student get in Taiwan?
As in most countries, Bachelor’s degree is the first tertiary education phase. The student has to study for 4 years to get this diploma. Some areas require more time, up to 5 for architecture, 6 years – for dentistry and 7 years – for medicine. The graduate is not awarded the diploma upon graduation of the university. This is because graduates are to complete a yearly practical job to attain particular number of credits. With the appropriate quality points, the student is qualified as the specialist. Credits are also used during study process to state the student performance. That means that a missed lesson or non-availability for lessons may case loss of credits. This, in turns, results in the repetitive period to study the course. This is just true about Taiwan. No student is dismissed for low credits: they are just held back.
The next degree is Master’s level. This programme is available for those who pass all mandatory exams and complete all courses recommended to cover prior to application. The duration of the course is from 2 to 7 years. At the end of this term the student should pass exams, make a diploma work and write a thesis. As part of Master level programme, students may get 700 USD of governmental scholarship for best performance irrespective of nationality. The maximum validity of the scholarship is five years though it may be revoked at any possible time even if the student is recognized as non-active member of university life. The student is not eligible to work during studies and the scholarship money is a good support, especially for international students. As for a job, the university student may work only with the official work permit available. Tutoring is not considered as the job. So, if the student needs tutoring to raise money, he or she will not be deported from Taiwan for law violation.
How to get a Student Visa?
The applicant needs to present the following documents to get a visa:
- Two photographs sized 3x4
- Valid foreign passport (with the validity of more than 6 months)
- Bank statement to prove the applicants' financial soundness
- A letter of invitation stamped by the Ministry of Education of Taiwan.
This is the list of documents required to get a Student Visa that might be issued in a week-period.
UniPage guidance in the admission process
UniPage is an educational agency. We consult students and help them with admission to universities abroad, including the most renowned educational institutions such as Stanford, Sorbonne, and TUM.
We are experts in our field and know how to ensure that you enter the university that suits your goals, research interests and budget.