Advantages of study in Malaysia
- A variety of specialties that enable applicants refer to the area of specialization they are concerned;
- Low tuition as compared with that in other countries;
- Convenient geographic location and favorable climate; good resources to get solid qualification, get introduced to national culture and traditions, and a good chance to rest well;
- Degree course schemes are supported by the European Union and US government;
- Malaysian credentials meet the world standards and comply with the education quality at the best world’s universities;
- Low living costs;
- Quick and easy way to get a student visa. Resources for visa-free entry and stay in Malaysia applicable for a number of countries;
- English language learning at different levels based on lots of comprehensive programmes at universities and private facilities;
Higher education in Malaysia
Information is exploratory. For accurate information, refer to the official website of the school.
|218||1||University of Malaya||Kuala Lumpur||8,000 USD||7,500 USD|
|330||2||University of Science, Malaysia||Tasek Glugor||3,617 USD||3,858 USD|
|403||3||Universiti Teknologi Malaysia||Johor Bahru||916 USD||1,326 USD|
|409||4||Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia||Kuala Lumpur||1,000 USD||1,000 USD|
|419||5||Universiti Putra Malaysia||Kuala Lumpur||4,823 USD||4,099 USD|
|607||6||International Islamic University of Malaysia||Kuala Lumpur||1,000 USD||1,000 USD|
|910||7||MARA University of Technology||Klang||1,000 USD||1,000 USD|
|911||8||Universiti Utara Malaysia||Kuala Kedah||1,000 USD||1,000 USD|
|1418||9||Universiti Tenaga Nasional||Kuala Selangor||7,500 USD||7,500 USD|
|1561||10||Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia||Johor Bahru||1,000 USD||1,000 USD|
English language courses in MalaysiaBack in the old times, Malaysia was one of British colonies. This accounts most curriculums taught in English language at most universities apart from a wide range of international student programmes.
Language courses taken on the national level are as follow:
- intensive courses
- exam courses with TOEFL or IELTS certificates upon completion
- general English language courses for any proficiency level students
- Business English language.
Admission procedure in malaysian universitiesThe applicants should submit the education credentials (Leaving Certificate) as well as IELTS or TOEFL English language proficiency certificates to study at Malaysian universities. The applicants can also join pre-university courses with the certificate upon completion that guarantees enrollment to the university of choice. Pre-university courses are mainly arranged for applicants who are not good at English.
Tertiary education in MalaysiaMalaysian universities offer Bachelor, Master and Doctor-level programmes for all applicants. Associate and bachelor degree programmes fall into the lowest programmes. The junior specialist (Associate) is entitled to get employment in the area of specialization or apply for higher Bachelor degree. Students with associate diplomas may apply for Bachelor programme as the second year students. The associate programme takes mainly 2.4 years of study.
Bachelor programme lasts 4 years with the pre-university course attended by the applicant for a year or a year and a half (Foundation, A-Level or AUSMAT). Upon completion of the course the applicant continues the study for a Bachelor.
Master-level programmes take a year or two years providing Associate or Bachelor degree is available. Those who apply for the Doctorate should have a Master’s degree.
Malaysian universities offer twinning programmes with the credentials of the western universities while studying in Malaysia. Such diplomas are awarded at headquarters of western universities.
Transfer Programmes afford study in Malaysia and in the country of choice.
Scholarships in MalaysiaMalaysian universities might offer scholarships and grants to international students who show good academic achievements. Specific Malaysian universities consider full and interest-free tuition for Master level programme though such aids are given to students who perform higher than expected. Such approach highly motivates applicants who can get the qualification for free only.
The Ministry of Education of Malaysia considers scholarship programmes as follow:
- MIS (Malaysian International Scholarship) which appears the basic one. Students who pursue advance academic records are eligible to apply for this type of financial aid.
- MTCP (Malaysian technical cooperation programme) Scholarship is given to promising students who wish to contribute to scientific work and get postgraduate education in the country. The students eligible for this kind of financial aid might get the Master or Doctor’s degrees, if applied.
The following documents are required to apply for scholarships:
- A passport copy (notarized)
- Diploma Supplement
- Two photographs
- Medical examination record
- English language proficiency certificate
- Reference letters from academic staff and scientific supervisors
How to get a Student Visa to MalaysiaBelow find the list of documents to submit for a Student Visa:
- Original and a copy of the passport
- Application form completed in English language
- Letter of invitation from the Malaysian university
- Letter of accept from the Malaysian university
- Leaving Certificate (Secondary School Certificate)
- Diploma (if any)
- International Certificate of TOEFL – 550 or IELTS – 6.0
- Air ticket
Work and study options in MalaysiaInternational students might combine associate employment with the study for up to 20 hours per week. Still further, one of challenging points of study is that most Malaysian universities provide paid internships for their students to match with the study and have their own money. This is really appreciated since students gain experience through practice matching it with the routine study and honing qualification skills.
The diploma of the tertiary education institution in Malaysia is the warranty of perspective and highly paid job offers.
Most Malaysian universities back up international students in their employment in the country on a legal basis.
Today the Malaysian diploma is highly esteemed in the world and thus the student with the Malaysian credentials can easily get employed in other countries apart from Malaysia. On the top of it, Transfer Programmes allow students stay in the country where the study programme is continued.
Submit a Request
Education in Malaysia - See also...
Malaysia - General information
Statistics - Rankings
|Arts and Humanities||17|
|Engineering and Technology||21|
|Life Sciences and Medicine||26|
|Social Sciences and Management||14|
Statistics - Education
|Popularity rating in the world||12|
|Ranking of universities in the world||33|
|Quality of teaching||24|
Statistics - Universities
|Universities in top 500||5|
|Universities in top 1000||8|
|Universities in top 5000||29|
Cost of living in Malaysia
|Expenses - USD/Month.||Min.||Med.|
|Communications and utilities||57||52|
|Sports and leisure||16||47|
|Accommodation in Malaysia||USD/Month.|
|Shared room outside of centre||103|
|Shared room in city centre||181|
|1 bedroom apartment outside of centre||168|
|1 bedroom apartment in city centre||303|