Chinese government scholarships
Chinese Government Scholarship (CSC)
The Chinese Government Scholarship is awarded to students studying at one of the 279 universities in the country. It covers the cost of tuition, accommodation, and provides a monthly living allowance ranging from 2500 to 486 USD. However, obtaining this scholarship is highly challenging.
- GPA — 4.5 out of 5.0
- English proficiency at the C1 level
- or Chinese proficiency at the A1 level (language courses are often included in the scholarship)
- Recommendation letters
- Motivation letter
- Age within the specified range
- Extracurricular achievements — scientific publications, conference presentations, work experience in the field, volunteering, participation in summer schools, olympiads, etc.
You can apply for the scholarship either before or after submitting your documents to the university. It is also recommended to contact a prospective professor in advance to obtain an acceptance letter, as this can increase your chances of receiving the scholarship.
Applying for a scholarship through the University of China
You can also apply for the scholarship through the Chinese Consulate. In this case, the list of required documents may vary.
Package of documents required for a scholarship application through the consulate:
- Complete application form for the Government of the PRC Grant
- Notarized certificate of your highest academic degree
- Detailed information about your academic performance
- Study plan or research program
- Recommendation letters
- Motivation letter
- Creative applicants should provide a CD with their work
- Copy of the "Medical certificate-questionnaire on the state of health of a foreigner"
Applying for a scholarship from the Chinese government can be challenging. It requires completing an error-free application, preparing a high-quality CV, obtaining recommendations, and crafting an outstanding motivation letter.
But don't worry, we are here to help. Our team of experts is well-versed in the full scholarship application process. We will assess your profile, develop a personalized strategy, and provide assistance with all the necessary documents.
The result? We will greatly enhance your chances of success while saving you time and effort.
Scholarship from the MOFCOM-CSC
The MOFCOM-CSC Scholarship is a sponsored program by the Ministry of Commerce of the People's Republic of China, aimed at attracting officials and senior managers to receive training. It provides full coverage for tuition fees in an English-taught master's or PhD program at one of the 26 participating universities.
In addition to covering tuition costs, the scholarship includes the following benefits:
- Campus accommodation
- Monthly allowance of 5,003 USD/year for bachelor’s students and 5,837 USD/year for PhD students
- Medical insurance
- Air ticket provided for travel to and from China
- Teaching materials and research costs
Scholarship from the Confucius Institute
The Confucius Institute offers a fully covered scholarship for students interested in studying Chinese language and culture. This scholarship is available at 150 universities in China and covers the cost of tuition, accommodation, medical insurance, and provides a monthly allowance of 278-417 USD for personal expenses. There are two types of scholarships offered by the Confucius Institute:
- Chinese language and culture scholarship. This scholarship is available for a duration of one month to one year. The available study programs are limited to Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, Chinese Philosophy, Tai Chi, and Chinese International Education. Applicants must have a language proficiency level of at least HSK 3 and be between the ages of 16 and 35.
- Scholarship for future Chinese teachers. This scholarship is available for bachelor’s, master’s, and PhD programs in teaching. The duration of the scholarship corresponds to the duration of the chosen program, ranging from 2 to 4 years. Applicants must have a language proficiency level of at least HSK 4. The age requirement is up to 25 years for bachelor’s studies and up to 45 years for PhD studies. Priority is given to applicants with teaching experience, and many scholarships require recommendation letters.
Each program has its own specific deadlines. Generally, applications open in April, May, September, and November, depending on the type of scholarship. Applications can be submitted through the Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship website or the selected university's website.
Scholarships from Chinese provinces
Many regions of China have their own scholarship programs, targeting foreign students for specific universities or study programs. These scholarships can be found on the Campus China website, specifically under the "Scholarships" section, or on the websites of the respective universities.
The application deadline for most regional scholarships in China falls in June. However, preparation for the application should start as early as December to March.
Scholarships from Chinese universities
University scholarships offer relatively less coverage compared to government scholarships, but they come with significant advantages:
- Faster application process and fewer required documents compared to government scholarships. The competition pool is usually smaller, allowing for a quicker and simpler application procedure.
- Quicker results. Government grants receive thousands of applications, which requires more time for evaluation. University scholarships, on the other hand, typically have fewer international student participants, even at prestigious universities. As a result, applicants can receive results as early as one month after submitting their applications.
- More options. China is home to approximately 1000 universities, and many of them offer scholarships. In contrast, the CSC grant involves 279 universities, and scholarships from the Confucius Institute are available in 150 universities. Provinces often prioritize 1-2 universities for their scholarships, leaving other universities without their own scholarship programs.
We will discuss a few popular university scholarships based on information provided by the CUCAS website.
China University of Petroleum
China University of Petroleum offers grants for all fields of study at the university. The grants are divided into three categories. The first category covers tuition fees, accommodation, insurance, and offers a monthly allowance ranging from 250 USD to 347 USD for other expenses. The second category covers education and accommodation expenses. The third category only covers accommodation and medical insurance.
The university has specific language requirements. Bachelor's programs require Chinese proficiency at the HSK 4 level, while master's and PhD programs require HSK 5. English proficiency must be proven with an IELTS 6.0-6.5 or TOEFL 75-80 score.
Bachelor’s and PhD applicants will also need to submit two recommendation letters, a study plan, and an acceptance letter from their prospective supervisor.
The application deadline for bachelor's programs is June 15th. For master's and PhD programs, the deadline is May 30th.
Zhengzhou University participates in various government grants and also provides two university scholarships for international students.
- University Scholarships for Excellent International Students are awarded to university honors students who rank in the top 10% of the university's best students. Recipients of this scholarship receive a one-time payment ranging from 3000 to 1,668 USD.
- Zhengzhou University President Scholarship fully covers tuition and provides two separate allowances: 139 USD per month for living expenses and 486 USD per month for other expenses. The selection process for this scholarship is highly competitive. In addition to a high level of language proficiency and GPA, applicants are required to submit a statement of research and a research proposal, as well as recommendation letters. For the spring semester, applications must be submitted between October 15th and December 15th, and for the fall semester, from March 1st to June 15th.
USTB Chancellor Scholarship
University of Science and Technology Beijing (USTB) provides two funding options: partial and full scholarships. The partial scholarship offers a tuition fee discount, while the full scholarship covers the entire cost of the educational program. Additionally, the scholarship includes on-campus accommodation or a monthly housing allowance of 347 USD, as well as medical insurance.
The application period for the USTB Chancellor Scholarship is from December 15 to May 15.
How to find a scholarship in China
When searching for scholarships in China, there are convenient official sources available such as Campus China and Study in China. However, not all information is consistently updated on these platforms, so it is crucial to double-check the availability of scholarships, their requirements, and deadlines on the official websites of universities and programs.
Exercise caution when visiting websites of various consulting agencies that claim to be official platforms for scholarship applications. It is essential to carefully verify the information provided on these websites. Authentic websites from the Chinese government do not guarantee entry and do not charge fees for their services, except registration fees.
Among third-party services, a trustworthy website is CUCAS. It features a user-friendly search engine, and the scholarships listed on the platform are described in sufficient detail.
Studying abroad is not as expensive as it seems, especially if you study on a scholarship.
We will help you save money on education abroad and submit documents for government grants.