Accession of Poland to the European Union that took place in 2004 was to some extent a step to new advanced future and since then Polish credentials are highly recognized in the rest of Europe, which requires no additional acknowledgment. Education in Poland conforms to International Standard Classification of Education. In view of that Polish university graduates are proud to proceed on their learning in any European country and beyond it. Such specialists of all specialties are highly appreciated by recruiters globally.

Higher education in Poland

Information is exploratory. For accurate information, refer to the official website of the school.
3061University of WarsawWarsaw4,037 USD4,037 USD
3442Jagiellonian University in KrakówKrakow5,421 USD5,421 USD
7263Warsaw University of TechnologyWarsaw5,000 USD5,000 USD
7884University of LodzŁódź2,653 USD2,884 USD
7975Nicolaus Copernicus University, ToruńToruń3,460 USD4,037 USD
9336University of WrocławWrocław2,884 USD2,307 USD
11077Maria Curie Sklodowska UniversityLublin5,000 USD5,000 USD
11918WSB School of BankingWrocław2,500 USD2,500 USD
12289Rzeszow University of TechnologyRzeszów
124110AGH University of Science and Technology in KrakówKrakow1,384 USD1,615 USD

Advantages of studying in Poland

Education in Poland is attained both in English and in Polish languages. A good command of language is quite a solid investment in future education: the applicant is required minimum enrollment requirements. Language proficiency test is enough to pass prior to learning process. The test is taken at the place of the education institution and this is another plus for asset saving.

Due to that Poland joined the Schengen Area in 2007 international students take the advantage of travelling throughout European countries by the Student Visa. Apart from exchange programs for students, Higher Education Institutions in Poland commit a lot to engage students in individual exchange curriculums like workshops and internship at Polish companies. They also allow students to engage in meetings with business entrepreneurs and experts in industries they learn to get to know the market environment prior to the end of study.
Foreign language proficiency is a good and unchallengeable holding for students to be beneficiated with the volume of knowledge and skills gained upon completion of Polish Higher Education Institutions. This opens doors wide for international students to proceed studies in the country or seek a job to promote career.

Preparatory courses in Poland

Preparatory courses in Polish language are held at largest state higher education institutions in Poland. They are developed for applicants who are interested in specific preuniversity tutorial to master Polish language as a Foreign Language at B1 or B2 levels. In most cases, entry exams are not required. Tutorial is held from October 1 to June 30, as a rule. Classes last for 5-7 hours daily from Monday to Friday. Apart from didactic classes, most universities provide with optional studies in vocation-related disciplines, including tours aimed to introduce students to the national history, culture, traditions and holidays. The preparatory course ends in mock exam at B1 or B2 levels in summer.
In case of successful exam results, attendees get the course graduation certificate on B2 level and based on exam results they might be enrolled to any Higher Education Institution in Poland.

Study in Polish Language

Students might study in Polish and English languages in Polish universities. A range of vocations in Polish language study is far higher as compared with that in English language while the tuition fee is quite lower against those in English.
If the applicant chooses Polish language study, then irrespective of the university and vocation, the latter should qualify in Polish language proficiency (В1 or В2 level). The language proficiency can be evidenced as follows:
  • Certificate on graduation of yearly preparatory course in Poland
  • Certificate by the Examination Commission
  • Examination for Polish language proficiency at enrollment
In order to qualify in language proficiency, applicants are required by some universities to submit the international certificate of Polish language proficiency as a foreign language issued by the State Commission for the Certification of Poland that is the developer and fascinator of the exam.
The State Commission holds exams at least three times a year in various countries. The exam schedule and venue for the following year are published at the Commission website. Please see the website to find more information on registration procedure, exam fee and certification acquirement.

Study in English Language

Most popular specialties are trained in English. The curriculums offered are far more advanced and competitive in terms of training program and academic staff.

Study in English language is always paid including that for Polish citizens. Applicants who choose study in English language should be qualified in English language proficiency (TOEFL 500 score (computer based)), IELTS (5.5–6.0 score) or
В2 (by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages - CEFR) and higher.
Those who study in English language are not required to master Polish language at enrollment. Prior to study applicants who choose English language curriculum are offered the intensive course in Polish language for easier adaptation.

Higher education in Poland

Since Poland adopts Bologna Process reforms, Higher Education Institutions in Poland comply with European trends related to Bologna Process of Harmonization. Due to that, such institutions adopt a three-cycle system for the the higher education sector:

  • 1st Level – Bachelor (B) or Licencjat or Inżynier. As a rule, 240 ECTS - European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System
  • 2nd Level – Master (MA, MSc, Magister) (3-4 semesters in duration or 180 ECTS)
  • 3rd Level – Doctor (PhD, Doktor)
In average, upon 3–4 years of study at Higher Education Authorities of professional education the student is awarded Licencjat diploma (Bachelor) or Bachelor - Inzyneir. These degrees are awarded to students who study economy, agriculture or technical sciences. Licentiates and engineers might be also granted the Master’s Degree (Magister) upon completion of 1.5-2 years of study.
Bachelor and Master’s Degrees in pharmacy, law, psychology, veterinary medicine, medicine and dentistry are granted to students who study these disciplines in common. In such a case curriculums are not divided for stages and graduates are awarded the Master’s Degree at the end of study.
Upon defending diploma paper, the university graduates might apply for Doctor’s Degree (3 to 4 years of study). Students with Master’s Degree or identical are eligible to apply for Doctor’s Degree. The Doctor’s Degree (PhD) is granted upon completion of postgraduate studies, appropriate exam and thesis defense.
International students are admitted for postgraduate studies providing their Master’s Degree is granted in Poland. As an alternative, they might submit documents to proof qualification of their Diploma to Master’s Degree qualification in Poland.
Educational system in Poland complies with standards set by ECTS system (European Credit Transfer System) that is the operating system to estimate university curriculums and The International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED). Upon completion of study, the graduate is awarded Diploma to comply with European standards recognized worldwide to seek employment in most world countries.

Enrollment requirements to Polish universities

A common interview is enough for private universities. Entry exams are required to enroll to state higher education institutions.
The candidates must be over 17 years old to get enrollment and have the following:
  • Secondary School Certificate (for applicants to get Bachelor’s Degree);
  • Polish or English language proficiency;
  • CV (with details on education and employment background);
  • 4 passport-size photographs;
  • Copy of applicant’s ID (passport);
  • References;
  • Cover letter.

Tuition fee in Polish universities

International students might study for free on a competitive base providing higher scores upon graduation of secondary school, successful exam results and courses on Polish language proficiency.
Private education authorities also provide free study for students. As part of enrollment competition, applicants are required to prepare essay in English or Polish language on the topic asked. This is highly competitive with the restricted vacancies for free study. However, free education is legitimate. All other international students should pay tuition fees.

Scholarships in Poland

Most higher education institutions are financed by the European Union that allows significantly reduce tuition fees for EU-applicants. In fact, almost all Polish universities set scholarships the volume of which varies from university to university. Scholarships are granted to encourage students to study better. As a rule, these come as academic scholarships, social allowances and individual grants which are awarded for sports and social achievements. Freshmen are not granted scholarships; these are awarded to those who completed at least 1-year full-time study.

The academic scholarship is the most appreciable to be granted to best students each semester who compete for scholarships based on results of previous semester quality points. The students may compete for scholarship with the quality grades in academic progress at least 4,4. The amount of academic scholarship makes 30 to 100% of the tuition fee per semester. Tuition fee paid by students is returned to most successful among them.

Internships and exchange programs in Poland and overseas

During study in Poland, students might undertake an internship in other country or participate in exchange programs. Great Britain, Ireland, Germany and Scandinavian countries are most attractive for exchange and probation programs.
The Ministry of Education and Sports in Poland has concluded a range of treaties signed at the European Union level on participation of Polish higher education institutions in exchange programs (Socrates/Erasmus) to cover almost all European universities. As a rule, the larger and more prestigious is the university, the more student exchange programs it offers. International students should have a temporary residence card to participate in such programs.

Work during study in Poland

Full-time international students of Polish universities are eligible to work without work permit not more than 3 months per year during vacation time. If the student finds this period not satisfactory or it is a part-time student, the work permit is required to be obtained. There is no need to register as a tax payer in Poland if the profit is less than 150 Euro per month.

Medical Service in Poland

As per the Polish Law, international students are entitled to stay in Poland only if they have a medical insurance available to replenish medical service expenses, if any. Medical insurance is issued in Poland. On average, it costs about 150 USD per year.

Visa Regime in Poland

The applicant should apply for visa personally. On average, visa requests are considered within 30 working days.
If the long-term Student Visa is required, Visa Form completed and the following documents should be submitted to the Embassy of Poland:

  • Original of letter of invitation from the higher education institution
  • Internal passport (original and copies of pages with details)
  • Foreign passport (original and copies of all pages marked with frontier crossing registration (Date of passport expiry should be at least 3 months prior to the scheduled return date)
  • 2 color photographs (dimensions 3.5×4.5. Applicant’s face should cover 70–80% of the photograph)
  • Tuition payment receipt (at least, 6 months in advance)
  • Proof on financial soundness (band statement for the amount of at least 5 000 Euro)
  • Medical insurance
  • Secondary school certificate + transcript (for schoolchildren), Diploma with supplements (for students)
  • Booked return tickets.
Submit a Requetst

Education in Poland - See also...

Poland - General information
RegionEastern Europe
LanguagePolish, Kashubian
Statistics - Education
Popularity rating in the world30
Ranking of universities in the world34
Academic Reputation 31
Employer Reputation 23
Quality of teaching 27
Statistics - Universities
Universities in top 500 4
Universities in top 1000 9
Universities in top 5000 72
Cost of living in Poland
Expenses - USD/Month.Min.Med.
Accommodation 141 185
Food 97 192
Transportation 20 61
Communications and utilities 53 87
Clothing 19 72
Sports and leisure 17 62
Accommodation in Poland USD/Month.
Shared room outside of centre142
Shared room in city centre187
1 bedroom apartment outside of centre259
1 bedroom apartment in city centre335
Location on map