Spain is amongst the countries which provides up-market and high-profile education both for native and international students.

Higher education in Spain

Information is exploratory. For accurate information, refer to the official website of the school.
1541University of BarcelonaBarcelona1,000 USD3,000 USD
1922Autonomous University of MadridMadrid1,000 USD5,000 USD
1963Autonomous University of BarcelonaCerdanyola del Vallès3,000 USD3,000 USD
2094Complutense University of MadridMadrid
2475Pompeu Fabra UniversityBarcelona3,000 USD5,000 USD
3356Polytechnic University of CataloniaBarcelona3,000 USD5,000 USD
3457Polytechnic University of ValenciaValencia3,000 USD3,000 USD
3748Universidad de NavarraPamplona11,000 USD15,000 USD
3779University of GranadaGranada1,000 USD1,000 USD
41110Carlos III University of MadridMadrid3,000 USD3,000 USD

Advantages of study in Spain

Spanish language is one of six official UN languages. As per the statistics, about seven percent of worldwide population takes it as the native language. Moreover, the Spanish falls in the category of Latin languages and thus, most students face no problems to learn it to study in the country.

Spain is famous for its mild climate. It is warm in summer in here and winters are rather mild. Vicinity of the warm sea is responsible for diverse watersports activities. The country is the place with the ancient and rather exciting history. The cities in here welcome to visit architectural monuments and wander along ancient streets learning lots of new and intriguing about the country.
Spain is known to be the country of quite fair prices, and thus the living expenses are not so extraordinary even for a long-term period.
Tertiary education institutions in Spain are classified for governmental and private. The tuition is below average by European standards: from 300 to 500 Euros per one term at state universities. Private university cost sheets are arranged by authorized service though the amount does not exceed 7500 Euros per one term even at the most expensive institutions.
The diploma issued by the tertiary education institution in Spain is valid in the terrain of the European Union and in most other countries (especially, English-speaking countries). The higher education system in Spain at that is acknowledged as one of the best in Europe. So, a Spanish graduate may find a job elsewhere in Europe for no problem.

English and Spanish language courses

All large cities in Spain offer language proficiency courses. Depending on requirements, the courses can be short-term or long-term in duration (from two weeks to a year) with the option to fully sink in the language-specific environment. The applicant might take the language profile as preferred (for instance, business language, specific terminology in fine arts, architecture, history, exact sciences, cooking, etc.). Accommodation options offered to applicant vary in alternatives, from host families to special camps, student flats to hotel rooms.

Admission to Spanish universities

If an applicant has a Europe-wide diploma of the so-called International Bachelor’s degree (IB), the enrollment is immediate. If such credentials are not available in the country of study, the applicant passes exams in writing to enroll:
  • Spanish language exam
  • Spanish history or Philosophy exam
  • Exam in one of languages as follow: French, Italian, Portuguese or German
  • Exam in any discipline of choice (this is optional though the exam results might add more scores to the general score attained by the applicant).
Entrance exams are taken in June and September. If an applicant fails to get enrolled in June, another try may be taken in September. At that, if the results of three obligatory exams passed during admission failed are appropriate, the applicant may not re-pass them: only the firth exam in the discipline of choice is offered.

An international applicant with the certificate on complete or incomplete higher education of the home country should submit the listing of disciplines studied to the special university committee. Then, the committee takes a decision in each particular case. A letter of reference is also obligatory: this should be given by the higher education institution where the applicant studied earlier in the home country.
Prep-courses for international students are offered by most universities in Spain. They are helpful for foreigners to learn subjects to pass specific exams.

Tertiary education in Spain

The structure of the admission procedure makes up of application to the university selected and waiting for the invitation letter. The tertiary education system in the country has the structure as follows:

  • Grado – the duration is four years; this degree corresponds to Bachelor’s degree;
  • Master – the duration is one year; it corresponds to Master’s degree (the international applicant needs a complete higher education diploma of the home country to apply for Master programme without having a Bachelor level programme study);
  • Doctor – the duration is one year; it corresponds to postgraduate studies and a thesis should be written upon studies (this degree requires study for Master’s level which cannot be avoided).

Scholarship programmes in Spain

Spanish government and various private organizations commonly grant financial aid to students. Private-based grants are given by endowment funds controlled by universities. International students mainly get government scholarships from various ministries. One of popular grants to be allowed to students is provided by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Spain along with other funds. To get it, the applicant needs to complete the application form at the official website of the relevant ministry and prepare documents listed.

How to get a Student Visa to Spain

A Student Visa is necessary to stay and study in the country. It refers to D Category visa. The following should be done to get it:
  • to complete a form;
  • to provide with two recent colored photographs (white color background);
  • to submit the foreign passport with the validity of at least three months since the date of visa requested and copies of all passport pages;
  • to submit all canceled foreign passports and copies of all passport pages;
  • to submit the internal passport and copies of all passport pages;
  • to sign the document on health insurance completed;
  • to provide with the health insurance policy for the amount of at least 30 thousand Euros to be valid throughout the entire period of study;
  • to submit admission documents to the tertiary education institution in Spain along with the payment receipt;
  • to provide documents on accommodation confirmation (reservation at the student camp, rent flat, hostel, hotel);
  • financial assurance: statement on the average amount of wage, either a letter of sponsor support with the identity of the sponsor confirmed;
  • bank statement or a statement on foreign currency purchase rated as 57 Euros per day for the proposed period of stay in Spain.

Job and study

Upon receipt of a residence permit, students may work for four hours a day. The official employment is possible through the job vacancy available and submission to Subdelegación del Gobierno. Apart from personal identity documents, the student has to provide with records on study hours and a copy of the contract to verify that the study and job schedule do not match. Upon approval (it normally takes up to five weeks) the student may start working as appropriate by law.

Career perspectives

Spanish diplomas are highly accepted and demanded in the world job market. Spanish university graduates prevail to other well-paid job seekers due to high quality of qualification and best practical skills.

Sumbit a Request

Education in Spain - See also...

Spain - General information
RegionSouthern Europe
LanguageSpanish, Basque
Foreigner students3.1%
Statistics - Education
Popularity rating in the world15
Ranking of universities in the world20
Academic Reputation 9
Employer Reputation 11
Quality of teaching 19
International Faculty 25
International Students 20
Citations per Faculty 21
Statistics - Universities
Universities in top 200 3
Universities in top 500 12
Universities in top 1000 25
Universities in top 5000 81
Cost of living in Spain
Expenses - USD/Month.Min.Med.
Accommodation 186 256
Food 152 310
Transportation 40 124
Communications and utilities 77 94
Clothing 23 86
Sports and leisure 23 82
Accommodation in Spain USD/Month.
Shared room outside of centre188
Shared room in city centre259
1 bedroom apartment outside of centre355
1 bedroom apartment in city centre474
Location on map